In the diverse landscape of Rajasthan, there are four major regions – Shekhawati, Mewar, Marwar, and Hadoti. The word Shekhawati originated from the Garden of the Shekhas. It comes from Rao Shekha who was the chief of a tribal community called Barwada. Shekhawati is especially known for some famous mansions or havelis which are painted with traditional art forms. Usually, it is believed that Shekhawati is a crowded place where thousands of tourists visit every month. But in reality, this region is less explored in Rajasthan where you can travel through some historical periods. This is a comprehensive Shekhawati Travel Guide of the Shekhawati region in the northern part of Rajasthan that gives a colorful display of Rajasthani culture. The guide contains details of havelis, and places to see in Shekhawati. So, quickly take a look at the guide, before planning Rajasthan Shekhawati Tour Package.
Stunning Havelis of Shekhawati –
Fresco is a word taken from Michelangelo’s “The Creation of Adam” describing the art of painting done by natural and wet plasters. If you want to discover some fresco arts then you must visit Shekhawati once because here you can see numerous havelis designed with fresco paintings. You can especially see such havelis in the Fatehpur, Nawalgarh, Jhunjhunu, and Mandawa regions of Shekhawati. Besides, there are some small mansions made by traders in Shekhawati and these havelis are painted with fresco paintings. The impressive structure of the havelis in Shekhawati share some common layout and you can find deep influences of Mughal artwork.
Popular places to visit in Shekhawati –
As stated earlier, Shekhawati has different towns and you can find some glimpses of ancient history in each town of Shekhawati. The major tourist attractions of Shekhawati Rajasthan Tour are listed below –
- Mandawa –
The small town of Mandawa is known as the fort town of Shekhawati. This place is a well-known shooting spot and you can find its background in some Hindi Movies. There are numerous havelis in Mandawa that attract travelers through Jaipur to Mandawa Taxi. You can find some famous mansions that will remind you of the cultural and social heritage charm of our country. In Mandawa, you can find some famous tourist spots here –
- Mandawa Fort is the only fort in Rajasthan where you can find some fresco paintings describing the early childhood of the youth of Lord Krishna. Its impressive intricate carvings look really stunning.
- Lakshminarayan Ladia Haveli is designed with marvels like blue-washed paintings, murals, and sculptures here. The haveli is based on the Hindu mythological theme and stunning Aravalli hills surrounding it.
- Alsisar –
In the North-western Rajasthan is a small town of Alsisar which is famous for its beautiful Havelis, mansions, castles, and cenotaphs. This is a town of Rajasthan where you can find extreme temperatures during the summers, so you can plan a visit during the winter or monsoon season. There are many havelis to see in Alsisar, and some of them are –
- Alsisar Fort was built by the Shekhawat Thikanedars and Thakur Gaj Singh Ji is the present owner of this fort. It showcases the Rajput style of architecture designed with fresh paintings in the most attractive way.
- Apart from forts and havelis, Alsisar is also known as the temple town of Shekhawati. There are many temples in this town like Laxmi Narayan Temple, Shri and Shyam Temple, etc.
- Dundlod –
A part of the Jhunjhunu district is Dundlod which is situated in the Shekhawati region of Rajasthan. As stated, every haveli of Shekhawati has its own story. If you want to explore the rich cultures, colors, and cuisines of Rajasthan then Dundlod is a place for you. Traveling to the city will narrate stories of princes and brave soldiers as you will see the virtual history of Rajasthan through their words. The best places to visit in Dundlod are –
- Badalgarh Fort is covered with 900sq km and is situated on the Nehra hilltop. The fortress was built by the Nawab Faizal Khan and you can find a unique structure inside the fort.
- Fort of Dundlod is designed with Mughal and Rajput style of architecture. The best example of such designs is the fort of Dundlod.
- Nawalgarh –
Nawalgarh is located around 30 kms away from the Jhunjhunu district in Shekhawati. Nawalgarh is well-known for Marwari Business Families and was used as a Tazimi Thikana of Jagmal Ji ka Songara. It was established by Maharaja Nawal Singh in 1674 AD which is guarded with sour-sided boundary walls designed with iron doors. Some of the places to explore in Nawalgarh are –
- Sheesh Mahal is designed with colorful glasses and stones
- Morarka Haveli is a famous haveli to explore some amazing paintings, intricate murals, and artifacts.
- Fatehpur –
Fatehpur is a part of the Sikar district of Rajasthan and falls under the Shekhawati region. More beyond Havelis, you can also see many ancient temples in Fatehpur to explore in Rajasthan Temple Tour. Some of the major places of attraction to see in Fatehpur are –
- Nadine Cultural Centre was established and owned by the Deora family and in 1999 a French artist named Nadine Le Prince.
- Dholi Sati Mandir is a religious shrine dedicated to Sati. The temple is known as Dadi Ji ki Temple in Rajasthan because here Goddess Sati is treated as a grandparent of the common people.
So, now you know some important things about Shekhawati and you can plan your Shekhawati Rajasthan Tour accordingly. Almost all royal families are indeed shifted to other metropolitan cities from Shekhawati and their palaces.